District Jardin Public
History of the district Public garden
Created in 1756 to offer the inhabitants of the city a pleasant place to relax, the Jardin Public is the oldest landscaped green space in Bordeaux. He has taken many faces over the centuries. Originally, it was a French garden of 10 hectares organized around a body of water with a wide driveway forming a perspective. The wrought iron gates of this first garden of the 18th are still existing in the Champ de Mars square and between Place Longchamp and Ducau Street. At the Revolution, the flowerbeds and hedges will give way to large areas of lawn. Abandoned for a few years, the garden will be remodeled in 1856, to give rise to an English-style park, of romantic inspiration: islets on the pond, winding paths, footbridges and statues adorn the place. From this period also date the tropical greenhouses and the arboretum. The will of the time, in the redevelopment of the park, is to connect through this green space the city center of Bordeaux to the suburbs of Saint-Seurin and Chartrons.
The must-sees of the district Jardin public
Classified "remarkable garden", the public garden is in itself a treasure of the Bordeaux heritage. The history of the city is closely linked to its destiny, and its landscape architecture reflects the different influences of the times: grids and large trees of the first garden 18th gateways whose width was designed to allow the passage of ladies in dress to crinoline in the 19th century. The Guignol Guérin puppet theater has been making children dream since 1853. The garden also houses, at the end of its esplanade, the Museum of Natural History: an essential site for families who regularly discover new temporary exhibitions. Around the garden, the area dominated by the beautiful 18th facades of mansions is home to many cultural sites and historical sites of Bordeaux: Quinconces Square nearby to the east to the Gallien Palace to the west, via the Museum of Contemporary Art and the center of architecture side Garonne, or the church of Saint-Louis-des-Chartrons north.
Living in the neighborhood Public garden
District very well served by the tram, Jardin Public is lined with popular buildings and town houses with garden. A stone's throw away, there are numerous shops on rue Fondaudège. Several nursery and primary schools, a college and a multi-purpose high school are present in the neighborhood, which also houses the Companions of Duty and the Goethe Institute. The public garden is a great place for families to relax. It is also invested by schoolchildren for orientation races. Attractive for its calm and the beauty of its architecture, the Jardin Public district offers a perfect balance of residential tranquility and shopping.