History of the Fondaudège district
The rue Fondaudège resumes the route of an old medieval road which served in particular the Saint-Germain chapel, now disappeared, the tanners district and the Roman colosseum. The axis now connects Place Tourny to President Wilson Boulevard, rue Fondaudège turning into rue de la Croix de Seguey before Saint-Ferdinand church. It continues beyond the boulevards to the Barrière du Médoc. Very busy street, Fondaudège has always been a strategic axis in Bordeaux, which explains the various developments it has experienced in terms of public transport. Formerly seat of a bus station, it knew the tramway until 1958. From 2016 to 2019, new works have for object the commissioning of the line D on this major north-west axis.
The essentials of the Fondaudège district
Although the Citram bus station was destroyed in 1998, the Fondaudège street still preserves certain places that have made its history. Passage Robert Picqué is for example the fountain whose street takes its name, and which came to feed water many tanners sector. Another fountain, much more recent and of pleasure, adorns the pretty raised place Charles Gruet. The street is also known for having housed the headquarters of the company Marie Brizard: a historic site in Bordeaux, present since 1755, which begins to be rehabilitated in housing and business premises in 2017. Place Marie Brizard will now testify alone presence group on the street for nearly 250 years. It is also redeveloped and is ready for the passage of tram line D, a striking and controversial event in 2019 for the Fondaudège district.
Living in the Fondaudège district
Friendly and lively, the neighborhood is considered very commercial, with more than 140 stores in the only street of Fondaudège. The services and shops are varied, making it possible to satisfy all the daily needs of the families and residents of the district: hairdressers, food shops, flea markets, shoemakers, cheese factories, bakeries, vintage shops, cafes, breweries, real estate agencies or sports halls ! The Fondaudège district also benefits from an ideal location, the street linking Place Tourny to Rue de la Croix-Seguey. Place des Quinconces and the alleyways of Tourny are just a few steps from the first street numbers. The arrival of the D line of the tram will further increase the accessibility of the district, linking it directly to the north-east of Bordeaux.